Portmellon is a quiet extremely tidal cove just south of Mevagissey. The coastline hosts many small inaccessible beaches, small caves, rocky outcrops, starfish and the occasional seal.
Note if using a SATNAV avoid Mevagissey (built for horses) by heading to Gorran Haven and just a mile out you will pick up signs left for Portmellon.
What to expect
It's a good idea to arrive at least 15 minutes before the start time as there is a little 'faff' associated with boating activities, usually getting changed, allocating equipment, having a chat and deciding what to pack in the dry bag. At the start of the session you will receive a short shore briefing covering:-
- The tour route or details of the taster
- Safety considerations including, communication, equipment and hazards
- An introduction on how to Stand Up Paddleboard
- Then it's time to hit the water
There will be plenty of time for asking questions and paddling tips are provided during the trip / taster as appropriate.
What to wear
What to wear on a SUP is personal choice, but we recommend:-
- Spring: full length wetsuits are best even on sunny days as the water hasn't warmed up yet. It is always good to bring a wind proof jacket and warm hat even if we stow them in a dry bag. If you know you get cold it may be worth bringing gloves.
- Summer: a shortie wetsuit is ideal, but plenty of us paddle in summer with a full length wetsuit on. A wind proof and a hat are always a good idea.
- Autumn: The weather varies so much and the water is warm in Autumn. We would recommend a full length wetsuit (Winter wetsuit later in Autumn) and bring along spares of a waterproof jacket and hat. Wetsuit boots if you feel the cold and if the weather is cooler.
- On your feet: Stand up Paddle Boarding is easier bare feet, however many people opt to wear wetsuit shoes or old trainers, particularly for launching off rocky shores and on cold days neoprene boots are essential.
If you require a wetsuit we recommend hiring through Bathsheba Surf Shop in Perranporth and you will receive a discount if you mention SUP in a Bag.
What to bring?
- Bring a drinks bottle (reusable ideally) and small snack for two hour trips
- Picnics or refreshment options will be discussed on booking for longer trips.
- Suncream, as the effects of the sun while on the water are stronger than on land. Don't forget your feet!
- Bring a towel for the shore
Parking is up the road opposite the slipway, Portmellon Park (do check for parking restrictions as sometimes they can change). There is also a pay and display car park beside the pub. There are no toilets at Portmellon, the nearest are in Mevigissey (on the harbour, quite tricky to get to).
The Rising Sun is the perfect place to reflect on your paddle. A 17th century waterside pub, it offers good pub food, a friendly service and a very nice pint, all with a view across the cove.