Durgan is a peaceful unspoilt National Trust beach below Glandurgan Gardens on the Helford. It is sheltered in a northerly wind and provides access to coastal and river and creeks trips dependent on conditions.
You can drop off kit and people at the beach, though this must be done quickly and mindful not to block the slipway or road. Parking is available at the car park to the east of the gardens accessed from the road to Durgan. There is a small charge for the car park (free to National Trust members). At busy times you may have to wait for a parking space, but lots as people come and go as it is a popular dog walking spot. There is a 10 minute walk down to the beach.
There are toilets available and a newly opened small shop which sells ice creams and drinks. There is also a café there. The Ferry Boat Inn at Helford Passage is a great spot for a post paddle be-brief and well earned refreshment, the Inn is a short walk or drive away.
Durgan is a peaceful unspoilt National Trust Beach below Glendurgan Gardens on the Helford. It provides access to Coastal and River and Creek Trips dependent on conditions.
What to wear
What to wear on a SUP is personal choice, but we recommend:-
- Spring: full length wetsuits are best even on sunny days as the water hasn't warmed up yet. It is always good to bring a wind proof jacket and warm hat even if we stow them in a dry bag. If you know you get cold it may be worth bringing gloves.
- Summer: a shortie wetsuit is ideal, but plenty of us paddle in summer with a full length wetsuit on. A wind proof and a hat are always a good idea.
- Autumn: The weather varies so much and the water is warm in Autumn. We would recommend a full length wetsuit and bring along spares of a waterproof jacket and hat.
- On your feet: Stand up Paddle Boarding is easier bare feet, however many people opt to wear wetsuit shoes or old trainers, particularly for launching off rocky shores and on cold days neoprene boots are essential.
If you require a wetsuit we recommend hiring through Bathsheba Surf Shop in Perranporth and you will receive a discount if you mention SUP in a Bag.
What to bring?
- Bring a drinks bottle (reusable ideally) and small snack.
- Suncream, as the effects of the sun while on the water are stronger than on land. Don't forget your feet!
Bring a towel for the shore